- Riding Rio Metro
- Plan Your Trip / Rider Information
- Bus Ridership Guide / Policy
Bus Ridership Guide / Policy
Mission Statement: Rio Metro collaborates to provide safe, accessible, efficient, and innovative transportation services for the benefit of our diverse local communities and the regional economy.
Rio Metro is committed to providing safe, accessible, timely and professional services for our customers. We thank you, the passengers boarding our vehicles, for obeying the following rules listed:
- Courtesy: Riders must act in a courteous manner at all times while riding the bus (including excessive public display of affection). Any rider who is verbally and/or physically abusive to other riders or the driver, or engages in horseplay / fighting may be suspended. The driver may also contact law enforcement if deemed necessary.
- Safety: Driver is responsible for the safety and welfare of passengers riding the bus. Riders must comply with the instructions of the driver at all times. Buses are also equipped with cameras to ensure the safety of our passengers and our drivers.
- Attire: Appropriate clothing must be worn (shirts, pants/shorts, and shoes).
- Seat Belts: If available, please use the seat belts. Wheelchairs / scooters must be secured by the Transit Operator before the bus can proceed. Riders may not ride in an unsecured wheelchair or scooter. Wheelchair / scooter riders must wear seat belts provided by the wheelchair securement manufacturer. Power wheelchairs will be powered-down while the wheelchair lift is ascending or descending to prevent falls.
- Standing: Standing passengers must stand behind the standee line and hold on tight to the handrails for their safety while the bus is in motion.
- Fares: Riders must pay their fare upon boarding the bus or show a valid pass to the driver.
- Lost & Found: Rio Metro is not responsible for lost or stolen items. To claim lost and found items please call the Rio Metro number you made the reservation with. Arrangements can be made to pick up items Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
- Emergency: In the event of an emergency and/or an evacuation of the bus is deemed necessary, all riders are to explicitly follow the instructions given by the driver.
- Food, Drink and Tobacco: Riders are not permitted to consume food on the bus. Drinks are allowed ONLY in an appropriate non-spill travel container that is securely sealed. Smoking and chewing tobacco are not permitted.
- Oxygen: Dependent riders are permitted to have one oxygen bottle in their possession. Riders are required to maintain control of their oxygen by themselves; if assistance is needed, it is recommended that the rider bring someone to assist them.
- Alcoholic Beverages: No rider is permitted to have an open container onboard the bus. Rio Metro reserves the right of the driver to ask to see the contents of a package if he/she suspects that package may contain an open container of alcohol. Passengers who are deemed too intoxicated will not be allowed to board the bus.
- Illegal Drugs: Illegal drugs are not permitted on the bus at any time. Any person found in the possession of such drugs will be immediately reported to law enforcement. Passengers who are deemed too impaired will not be allowed to board the bus.
- Six Bag Limit: No more than 6 plastic shopping bags per rider are allowed on the bus. Riders are responsible for loading and unloading their own bags.
- Personal Hygiene: Riders must maintain good personal hygiene so as not to offend other riders.
- Weapons: Are not allowed on the bus. A weapon is described as any device capable of causing bodily harm to another individual. Any person found in possession of a weapon will be reported immediately to law enforcement. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Service Animals: Service animals accompanying an individual with disabilities will be allowed to board the bus. No other animals are allowed. Riders are responsible for cleanup of their service animal. Please keep service animals off seats.
- Scheduling and Canceling Rides: Riders must be scheduled by noon one business day in advance, but up to two weeks is encouraged. Rides are scheduled on a first-come, first serve basis. Cancellations must be called into the transit office at least 2 hours prior to scheduled pick up. If ride is not canceled, it will be considered a "No Show".
- No-Shows: Excessive No-Shows will result in suspension. A rider who has 3 or more No-Shows, and those No-Shows exceed 10% of their scheduled trips in any single month period, may be suspended from using Rio Metro Dial-a-Ride services. For the full No-Show policy please refer to the Rio Metro Riders Guide.
- Time: Please make yourself visible to the driver when the bus approaches. A bus arriving at your home within 15 minutes before or after the scheduled pick-up time is considered on time. If the bus arrives before your scheduled pick-up time, you'll be expected to board the bus within 5 minutes. If the bus arrives after your scheduled pick-up time, you'll be expected to board the bus within 5 minutes. If you have not made contact with the bus within the allotted time, the bus will move on to its next stop. If you are somewhere other than home, the bus should arrive at your location at the scheduled pick-up time. The bus will wait for 5 minutes on arrival for you to board. If you have not made contact with the driver within 5 minutes of arrival, the bus will move on to its next stop. If the bus is more than 15 minutes late for your scheduled pick-up time, please call your local office to inquire on the bus status.
Rio Metro Service Denial Policy
Anyone violating these rules can and will be prohibited from using our service. We are responsible for the safety and welfare of all riders and will refuse service to any person who places our riders and/or drivers at risk.
- Download the Bus Ridership Policy (PDF)
- Download the Rio Metro Rider's Guide - English (PDF)
- Download the Rio Metro Rider's Guide - Spanish (PDF)
- To request this information in an alternate format (eg., Braille, large print, audio), please contact Customer Service at 1-866-795-7245 or click here to download the request form.
- The Rio Metro Regional Transit District operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, national origin, and disability, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Visit our Title VI / Non-Discrimination Notice Web Page.