All Rio Metro buses meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) accessibility requirements and include wheelchair lifts or ramps and related interior accessibility equipment. The buses can accommodate between 18 and 32 seated passengers, depending upon the size of the bus. Rio Metro buses provide efficient passenger transport, ensure maximum passenger safety, and are highly suited for the bus route and Dial-a-Ride transportation services offered by Rio Metro. All Rio Metro drivers are trained to meet ADA accessibility requirements.
- All Rio Metro bus and Dial-a-Ride services are fare free.
Finding Your Way Around Bus Stops
- Signs and other design features will help you get to and from bus stops and show you how to use our buses
- Drivers announce bus stops and transfer information, such as stops associated with major intersections, destinations, and transfer points, and any stop when requested by an individual with a disability
Boarding the Bus
- Rio Metro buses are equipped with wheelchair lifts or ramps
- Upon request, the operator will assist with you boarding the bus
- Oxygen dependent riders are permitted to have one oxygen bottle in their possession
- Oxygen dependent riders are required to maintain control of their oxygen by themselves; if assistance is needed, a personal care attendant must accompany the rider
- Gas powered vehicles including bicycles, mopeds, and scooters are not allowed on the bus
- Hover boards are not allowed on the bus
- Individuals with disabilities may board with electric Segways
- On Rio Metro fixed/commuter routes the operator will make external and internal announcements at transfer points, major intersections, final destinations, and any stop requested by a customer
- Service animals are permitted on the bus. The animal should always be on a leash, harness or other tether, unless either the handler is unable because of his/her disability to use a harness, leash or other tether, or the use of a harness, leash or other tether would interfere with the service animal's safe, effective performance of work or tasks, in which case the service animal must be otherwise under the handler's control.
- Designated seating for senior citizens and individuals with disabilities is available on all Rio Metro buses
- Seating is designed to provide easy access for individuals with disabilities, including those using mobility devices
- Signs are posted in these areas alerting all customers of this priority
- If other passengers are using these seats, the operator will politely ask them to move
- For customers using wheelchairs, scooters or electric Segways, there are reserved seating areas which are equipped with securement devices to help ensure a safe ride; the operator will assist you with all securements and seat belts as required
- The Rio Metro Regional Transit District operates its programs and services without regard to race, color, national origin, and disability, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Visit our Title VI / Non-Discrimination Notice Web Page.