- Riding Rio Metro
- Train Fares
- How to Buy
How to Buy
The New Mexico Rail Runner Express ticketing app is available for both iPhone and Android. The app allows passengers to purchase tickets, view the schedule, check the status of the train and more.
Notice: The full train schedule cannot be viewed on the mobile app. View the schedule online.
Passengers can purchase their ticket online prior to boarding the train. When purchasing tickets online, passengers must provide a valid email address to which a PDF of the ticket will be sent. Passengers purchasing tickets online have the option of printing the ticket or saving it to their mobile device and showing it to the ticket agent on the train.
On the Train
Tickets may also be purchased on the train. Ticket agents walk through the train to collect fares. Tickets may be purchased with cash, debit or credit card (except American Express).
Learn More About Purchasing Tickets on the Train
Terms & Conditions
New Mexico Rail Runner Express Tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable. Tickets are not refundable if lost, damaged, stolen or destroyed. Tickets are also not refundable if the passenger purchased a ticket and didn't use it, purchased the wrong date or wrong station or if a ticket is purchased at a discounted rate without qualification. If using a credit card for payment on board the train, passengers much show a valid photo ID.
- Seating is available on a first come - first served basis.
- Purchasing a ticket in advance online does not guarantee a seat.
- Tickets may be purchased online or on the mobile app prior to boarding the train. Rio Metro is not responsible for unsuccessful attempts to purchase tickets while on board the train due to technical, mobile or computer failures, errors or data loss of any kind, lost or unavailable Internet connections, or failed incomplete, garbled or deleted computer or network transmissions, inability to access the website or online service, or any other technical error or malfunction.
- If you do not have your smart phone or mobile device when boarding the train, or do not produce your ticket when asked, you will be considered to have traveled without a ticket and you will have to purchase another ticket and pay the full fare in order to travel.
- Paper tickets for travel on the New Mexico Rail Runner Express are still valid. Passengers need to present it to the ticket agents upon request.
- If purchasing your ticket online, it is recommended that you save the ticket PDF on your mobile device or have it accessible offline to ensure your ticket gets scanned.
- If you are already on a train and find that your reservation date is incorrect (for tickets purchased online only), you will need to pay the ticket agent for your trip or upgrade your ticket to reflect the actual number of zones traveling.
- Tickets are valid for the number of zones through which you will travel.
- Tickets are void if they bear alterations or modifications.
View the Ticket and Refund Policy