- Riding Rio Metro
- Seniors Ride Free
Seniors Ride Free
Seniors age 60+ can ride any New Mexico Rail Runner Express train at no cost every Wednesday! This is a great opportunity for residents and visitors to explore New Mexico’s outstanding local restaurants, museums, and shops, as well as the great outdoors.
How it Works
- Every Wednesday, seniors age 60+ can ride any north or southbound train for free.
- Show the onboard ticket agent your valid photo ID (must contain your birth date).
- Bus Transfer: Planning on making a connection to an ABQ Ride, Santa Fe Trails or Rio Metro bus? Ask your ticket agent to print out a free bus transfer slip.
- Call Customer Service at 866-795-7245 for help with trip planning.
Mon - Fri: 5:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.
Sat: 7:30 a.m. - 11:30 p.m.
Sun: 7:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Things to Do
There are several restaurants and breweries in walking distance of the Santa Fe Depot, including:
- Santa Fe Railyard shops and galleries
- Shops along Guadalupe St
- Santa Fe Plaza
- Shops and galleries on Canyon Road
- Violet Crown Cinema (in the Railyard)
- Santa Fe Cinema 6 (on Cerrillos Rd)
Santa Fe Plaza area museums:
- New Mexico Museum of Art*
- New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors*
- Museum of Contemporary Native Arts**
Museum Hill area:
At the Santa Fe Railyard:
- Restaurants and breweries near the Downtown ABQ Train Station, Old Town, and Nob Hill
Museums & Galleries
Old Town area:
Exit the train and walk south across the pedestrian overpass.
*Free admission on Wednesdays for New Mexico residents 60+ with ID
**Half price admission for Seniors 62+
***Free general admission on the first Wednesday of each month (except during Balloon Fiesta)
****Reduced admission rates for Seniors 65+ with ID
Below are links to resources for seniors in central New Mexico. Find information on activities and opportunities to promote active and healthy living.
- Bernalillo County Senior and Social Services Website
- Bernalillo County Senior Centers
- City of Albuquerque Department of Senior Affairs Website
- City of Albuquerque Senior and Multigenerational Centers
- City of Santa Fe Division of Senior Services Website
- Sandoval County Senior Centers
- State of New Mexico Department of Aging and Long-Term Services Website
- Prime Time Magazine
- Senior.One - Free Care Navigation for Seniors & Their Caregivers